losetimereading

A Great and Terrible Beauty
Libba Bray
The Truth About You and Me
Amanda Grace, Mandy Hubbard
Aberrant (Aberrant #1) - Ruth  Silver Cabal is a futuristic, dystopian world that is seemingly wonderful on the surface, underneath… not so much. Every citizen, on their eighteenth birthday, participates in a matching ceremony for marriage and then later following, “The Day of the Chosen” which is a lottery designed to give married couples a child. Women can no longer conceive children as we know it to be today, and haven’t been able for a very long time. Olivia is matched with her best friend Joshua, and on the night of their marriage the government captures Olivia and imprisons her for reasons she knows nothing about. It’s after her mother is also imprisoned that she learns she was conceived naturally, the last child to be born that way in decades and she may also carry the ability to. After rebels break her out of prison, she escapes with Joshua outside of the walls and learns that the life she knew is not the peaceful, orderly life she once though… and now Joshua and her are on the run for their lives.I absolutely adored Olivia. She was such a great main character and I immediately formed an attachment with her. She was very inquisitive and I loved how she always had a bit of a rebel streak in her; reading romance novels in her parent’s basement… skipping school. From the very first chapter, the flashback when she was a child, I instantly liked her. I also really liked Joshua, the other main character although I think part of my liking him so much was due to the fact that Olivia adored him. All of the other characters I was incredibly suspicious of, and still am. I think that was the intention as you will quickly learn that things are not as they seem in the world of Cabal. I constantly was questioning everyone that Oliva and Joshua interacted with them in fear they would turn against the couple.The world building was fantastic albeit not all of the questions have yet been answered, but that is to be expected as up until the last page Olivia and Joshua are still learning about the world they live in. I love the elements of advanced science that were added in spontaneously and I loved the descriptions of each new place they encountered.The pacing and plot are phenomenal… at no point during this book did I feel like I could put it down. I read it in one sitting and am still crying for more! It’s incredibly fast paced, and that starts from the moment you open to the first page.I cannot wait to read the next book in the Aberrant series. I love the hints of an upcoming revolution and I’m dying for answers on how Olivia’s mother and the other characters will come into play. I’m sure that Haven and Genesis will come into play quite a bit in the next book!I definitely recommend Aberrant if you love dystopians! It’s a fast paced and plot driven and you won’t be able to put it down!