losetimereading

A Great and Terrible Beauty
Libba Bray
The Truth About You and Me
Amanda Grace, Mandy Hubbard

Dead until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse / Southern Vampire Series #1) (True Blood)

Dead until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse / Southern Vampire Series #1) (True Blood) - From my blog:Dead Until Dark is the first book in the “Sookie Stackhouse” series which takes place in Bon Temps, Louisiana when vampires are now “out” and in the public eye. The main character, Sookie Stackhouse is a telepathic waitress and she meets Bill, a vampire that was born in her town and has since returned. A string of murders occurs in the town, which seems to be targeting “fangbangers” and soon its realized that Sookie may be the main target.Ok, to start off… holy smokes, this book is sexual. I guess I should have realized that when everyone talks about “fangbangers” or maybe I’m just used to mild romance scenes from reading too much Young Adult, haha. Charlaine does a really good job of making Bill a very appealing vampire At first I couldn’t understand why the hype was so big around this book, I felt like it was good but nothing that was “wow”. Then suddenly I couldn’t stop reading and I realized why everyone loves it. I really enjoyed how vampires were out in the open. That’s not normally the case in supernatural stories, vampires are always hidden from the public eye and the mortal world doesn’t really think they exist. I found it was something different to throw into the mix and that played a large part in keeping me interested.Sookie didn’t really thrill me as a character. I thought she was sooo dumb sometimes and I wanted to scream. I had a very love-hate relationship with her. Bill on the other hand was marvelous… and I absolutely adored Sam. I knew something was up with him from the get go but I was really surprised when it was revealed because that was the last on my mind(which I won’t spoil if you don’t know). The rest of the characters were just kind of present, I didn’t feel particular any feelings towards them.All in all I really ended up liking this book and I will continue with the series although they aren’t rush out to buy kind of books. The first book ended pretty satisfying, not with a huge cliff hanger and I appreciated that. Especially since I need to get more of my TBR pile down, haha.If you are interested in picking this up but unsure, I would recommend doing it, it’s a very easy read and it will keep your attention.