losetimereading

Libba Bray
The Truth About You and Me
Amanda Grace, Mandy Hubbard

MILA 2.0

MILA 2.0 - Mila just moved to a new town with her mother after the passing of her father. Mila is devastated at the loss of her father, and it’s actually one of the few things she can remember from her past. Her mother tells her she has Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, and she will eventually remember, but the sudden death of her father in a fire that Mila was also present in has blocked all of her memories. Mila gets glimpses of past memories but can’t piece anything fluent together. In the new town, Mila meets some new friends, and a sexy new boy in town Hunter. After Mila flies off the back of a truck and damages her elbow she learns she is not human after all. She is an android, and her “mother” was the scientist that created her and stole her from the lab. Suddenly Mila’s life is turned upside down and now she has no choice but to run with her mother… before this government agency catches up to her.Fresh off of Cinder, I was really excited to read this one. I realized I really loved the science fiction that surrounds Androids and was interested to pick up Mila 2.0. I’ve only just started dabbling in science fiction the last few months so I’m still slightly weary, wondering if at some point it’s going to be a bit too intense. Not the case for Mila 2.0. I thoroughly enjoyed this debut novel.Mila was a great main character. I was very happy with her character development throughout the book. At the start of the story, obviously Mila thinks she is a regular human girl and by the end of the story she is coming to terms with being an Android. Her emotions, anger, sadness and rebellion were not lost between this either which thrilled me. Mila went through every possible emotion finding out that she was Android, being angry with her mother, feeling worthless… and I really felt for her the entire time. I also enjoyed Mila’s mother as a character, and grew quite attached to her by the end of the book. I’m unsure about Hunter. I’m extremely suspicious of him, and I was from minute one. I think there is going to be something dramatic that comes out about him in book 2.As much as I loved the characters, and character building in Mila 2.0, the love interest kind of threw me off. It was very much like insta love but I found it felt quite awkward in the story. It’s very much an action filled thriller and when Mila would mention Hunter, it kind of rocked the flow of the book momentarily. As I said above though, I’m sure the second book is going to provide a lot of insight why Hunter is such a main part of the story.The plot for Mila 2.0 was fast paced, and I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. I was actually fearful for Mila’s safety and dying to see how every scene was going to play out. The whole concept of these extremely intelligent Android’s was fascinating to me. It’s also kind of scary… to think, maybe these are already out there? And who would know? Mila certainly didn’t know she wasn’t human! I loved how memories were able to be given to them, as well as emotions, bodily functions, really everything that a human would have. It was absolutely astonishing.I really enjoyed Mila 2.0. I cannot wait for the second book… it really ends on a cliffhanger and I’m so anxious to see what happens with her story.This is Debra Driza’s debut novel and it’s 100% worth the read!