losetimereading

A Great and Terrible Beauty
Libba Bray
The Truth About You and Me
Amanda Grace, Mandy Hubbard

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles Series #1)

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles Series #1) - Cinder is a cyborg who lives with her stepmother and two step sisters in New Beijing. She works as a mechanic and all of the money goes to her stepmother. There is a deadly plague ripping through New Beijing and when her youngest stepsister contracts it, her stepmother sends Cinder off as part of the cyborg research. When she is admitted for the research, interesting and mysterious things are revealed about Cinder… all while she is getting close to the handsome prince, Kai who is trying to keep away the dangerous Lunar queen.Cinder was an amazing protagonist. I absolutely loved everything about her. She was strong, determined and extremely interesting. There was always a mysterious element to Cinder throughout the novel so every chapter I was awaiting what her secrets would be. I also adored Kai, oh he was sweet. Obviously this was a Cinderella retelling so I expected the Prince to be charming and sweet, just like the original, however I didn’t anticipating liking Kai as much as I did. I also adored Peony, Cinder’s stepsister. I loved how this was a new twist to Cinderella. In the original as we all know, the two step sisters are evil however Peony and Cinder were very close. I really enjoyed that aspect and how her other stepsister was still evil. And Queen Levana… oh lord, I hated her. Every time she was in a scene, I was gritting my teeth… I could not stand her. I knew she was the main hated character going into the story, but gosh, I really didn’t expect to detest her as much as I did.The world-building in Cinder was exceptional. I loved the interesting futuristic element. I could easily imagine this future earth, which I enjoyed because often science fiction is so unbelievable to me that I have a hard time focusing or understand some of the concepts brought into the story. The fact that there is life outside of Earth, the interesting powers of the Lunars and the feud between the two made for a very exciting story.The writing was phenomenal. I was absolutely enchanted by this entire story and I found it really hard to stop reading after 3 chapters. There were so many mini cliffhangers at every end. Cinder was actually my first retelling and it was just a pleasant surprise. The fact that Cinder was a cyborg made the story entirely unique to anything I’ve read. It was wonderfully executed and I think that this is the type of story that will appeal to everyone.I think I was only about halfway in when I already committed to reading Scarlet. Marissa Meyer has just completely sucked me into this serious, I can’t stop raving about this book. I was terrified because of the hype that I wouldn’t see what the fuss was about, but clearly, no worry was needed. I absolutely loved every little thing about this book and I don’t have a single negative thing to say about it… I cannot wait to start Scarlet :)