losetimereading

Libba Bray
The Truth About You and Me
Amanda Grace, Mandy Hubbard

The Madman's Daughter

The Madman's Daughter - The Madman’s Daughter starts off in London, with the young maid Juliet Moreau. Juliet is alone, after her mother died and her father disappeared after being discovered doing strange scientific experiments. Juliet discovers Montgomery, a servant who used to work for her family, and soon realizes her father is alive… secluded on a far away island. Juliet travels across the ocean with Montgomery to finally see her father again and what she is faced with on the island is nothing short of horrific.Juliet was a pretty intriguing character, she was certainly outspoken for that time period and I quite enjoyed that. She was also very inquisitive and I liked how she always kept her sense of values at the forefront of her mind. Montgomery was also a nice character, I really loved his compassion and sensitivity towards animals and humans. It’s really hard for me to write about any of the characters, because in all honesty I wasn’t attached to any of them. I liked Alice & Balthasar the most of all the characters, but there still wasn’t a strong connection towards them.The story itself is creepy and extremely horrific. The experiments that are taking place on this island are absolutely insane. I felt woozy at several points during this book, and that is probably due to my love for animals. To imagine an animal having it’s organs removed while it is alive and under no sedation makes me physically ill. I think that is one of the reasons I couldn’t get as hooked on this book as I would have liked, the entire “scientific” part of this book was disgusting for me.There were several surprises in The Madman’s Daughter… things I wasn’t expecting and the ending is certainly quite the cliffhanger! All in all it was interesting, and I definitely had to continue reading to see how everything is going to play out but I’m not sure if I will be picking up the next book. Perhaps I’m a bit too sensitive for a series like this I’m sure a lot of people will ADORE this, it’s perfectly creepy and definitely unlike anything I’ve ever read.